I’m going to start this one off with this statement – Chili does NOT include beans. If you disagree, cook up some beans and use them as a topping for this chili, but this chili is all about the beef.
This chili is great as is, or I love it with sour cream and cheese. It also makes a decent hot dog chili. I especially enjoy it with cornbread, when I’m not on keto.
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb chuck roast, chopped
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 8oz can tomato sauce
8oz beef broth
5 TBSP dark chili powder
About 1 TBSP ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika if you have it)
1. Preheat your skillet or pot to medium heat, then add 2 TBSP olive oil. When oil is shimmering, dump in onions, and cook until tender.
2. Add garlic to the onions and cook for a couple minutes, careful not to burn.
3. Add mixture of ground and chopped chuck to the pan. Brown the beef.
4. Once the meat is nicely browned, add 8oz can of tomato sauce, 1 cup beef broth, and 1 cup water. Then simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5. After simmering, add 3 TBSP dark chili powder, 1/2 TBSP ground cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, and 1 chicken bouillon cube. Then simmer, uncovered, for an additional hour.
6. After simmering for another hour, add 2 TBSP dark chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, and 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Add water if needed.
7. Simmer, covered, for 30 more minutes.
Bible verse of the day:
“The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.”
Proverbs 21:5 ESV